Mature Ornamental Conifers
Who doesn’t love a beautiful conifer tree or shrub? These cone-bearing seed plants, which come in many shapes, forms and sizes, are sure to turn your garden into a green paradise – and not just around Christmas time! At our Tendercare nursery, you can find some lovely mature and extra mature conifers for your garden project. Book a personal shopping experience and get inspired by our range and services. We have some great conifers in our online shop too. Have a look and please contact us if you have any questions.
What is a conifer tree?
As opposed to what many people believe, a conifer is not just one specific tree or shrub. To be more specific, the question should actually be: ‘what are conifers trees?’. As said, it’s a group of cone-bearing, woody seed plants. They have cones rather than flowers as a container for their seeds. Most of them are conical shaped evergreen trees, which will definitely be a colourful addition to your planting scheme. Some can reach heights of 35 metres, while others stay relatively small. There are around 800 different conifer species, but the pine family is the largest family within conifers and probably the most well-known. When thinking about conifer trees, most people immediately think about their needles. Yet, there are also a couple of conifers that don’t have needles but (scale-like) leaves. All in all, there is never a dull moment with a conifer tree or shrub.
Conifers come in any shapes, forms and colours
It is clear that conifers are a fascinating addition to your project. Most conifers need minimal maintenance and have maximum impact. While the pine tree is the most well-known conifer, many other conifer trees will add architectural flair, structure and interest to your garden:
- Spruce tree: there are different types of spruces, since they can be shrubs, small trees, or huge trees. Of course, the most well-known is the Christmas tree. The branches have individual needles, which make the spruce unique.
- Cypress tree: this ornamental conifer tree comes in many shapes. They provide year-round interest, are Low-maintenance and very easy to grow.
- Cedar tree: this disease-resistant, evergreen and hardy tree has many appearances and comes in various colours. Its pyramid-like shape makes it very attractive to turn the cedar tree into the focal point of the garden. Most prefer a sunny spot with well-drained soil.
- Juniper tree: the berries are their unique selling point, but the fact that they are hardy and evergreen should not be underrated. Juniper trees have many attractive looks and require minimal attention.
- Yew tree: this is the only other conifer tree that produces attractive red berries. It’s a very easy, versatile plant and it has needle-like yet colourful foliage. A beauty to look at!
Add a conifer tree to your garden
It’s no surprise that these seed-bearing cones will lure local wildlife to your garden. Bird-loving people should therefore definitely consider a conifer tree. All conifer trees provide form, structure, colour and year-round interest to your outdoor space, no matter how big or small. Since they bring harmony to any planting scheme and go well with many other plants, adding one or more conifers will take your garden project to the next level.
Buy mature ornamental conifers for the garden
Green up your outdoor space with our ornamental conifer trees and shrubs! Please note that the plants in this category have a width of a least 100 centimetres. We also have mature ornamental conifers that can be taken through a standard garden gate of at least 80-90 centimetres. Order them online or visit our plant nursery in Denham to have a look at our conifers in real life. If you have any questions regarding the plants we offer online, feel free to contact us.